Samurai - History of FPS Genre

Badfur

The History of the FPS Genre

Before we get into the history of the FPS gaming genre, let us first look into the definition of an FPS game. First off, FPS is an acronym that stands for First Person Shooter. An FPS game could be described as a combat oriented game in which the avatar you control has a weapon of some sorts that it uses to kill enemies or opponents. As you can see from the definition The game is always played in first person perspective. Although some games such as Fallout: 3 or Fallout: New Vegas can use either first or third person perspectives, games such as these are not true first person shooters and have a different sub genre assigned to them. The FPS genre can be traced back to 1973, but most gamers associate 1992 as the birth of the FPS genre. Wolfenstein 3D is known as the first real FPS game; released in 1992, the year before Doom.
                First person shooters focus on action game play. Some examples of objectives within a game could include disarming a bomb, eliminating a certain amount of enemies, or destroying the headquarters of your enemy. In the FPS genre you may find that most modern games include some form of multiplayer. These games primarily focus on their multiplayer mode instead of their single player mode. A good example of this would be Call of Duty Black Ops 2. Black Ops 2 includes a single player campaign, a multiplayer section, as well as a section called Zombies. The majority of players entertain themselves with the multiplayer or Zombies sections. Most gamers play on the more multiplayer sections because they like to connect with fellow gamers, compete in a competitive environment, or simply enjoy the game. FPS games have always been popular and each year are increasingly popular. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is an example of a well-received FPS game; in 2012 it made a gross of 500,000,000 US dollars in the first 24 hours of its release. Gamers everywhere will continue to keep a close eye on the FPS gaming genre, as the years go by.

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's early in the morning, and I just woke up.  For the most part, however, it's fairly well written, and here are some basic edits. Reply here with an updated version.

I know this might not be my place to question, but why are you focusing on only one game? The history of FPS's should be a few examples.

You don't have to take my advice Samurai, I just though you could expand this more.

Awards

FPS Game Genre

FPS is an acronym that stands for First Person Shooter. An FPS game could be described as a combat oriented game in which the avatar you control has a weapon of some sorts that it uses to kill enemies or opponents. The game is always played in first person perspective. Although some games such as Fallout: 3 or Fallout: New Vegas can use either first or third person perspectives, games such as these are not true first person shooters and have a different sub-genre assigned to them. The FPS genre can be traced back to 1973, but most gamers associate 1992 as the birth of the FPS genre. Wolfenstein 3D is known as the first real FPS game; released in 1992, the year before Doom.

First person shooters focus on action game play. Some examples of objectives within a game could include disarming a bomb, eliminating a certain amount of enemies, or destroying the headquarters of your enemy. In the FPS genre you may find that most modern games include some form of multiplayer. These games primarily focus on their multiplayer mode instead of their single player mode. A good example of this would be Call of Duty Black Ops 2. Black Ops 2 includes a single player campaign, a multiplayer section, as well as a section called Zombies. The majority of players entertain themselves with the multiplayer or Zombies sections. Most gamers play on the more multiplayer oriented sections because they like to connect with fellow gamers, compete in a competitive environment, or simply enjoy the game. FPS games have always been popular and each year are increasingly popular. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is an example of a well-received FPS game; in 2012 it made a gross of 500,000,000 US dollars in the first 24 hours of its release. 

Another great example of a modern FPS game series would be Halo. Halo is a multi-billion dollar game series originally produced by Bungie and now with the release of Halo: 4 it is managed by 343 Industries. With Call of Duty on the Cutting-Edge for more realistic shooter games Halo is likewise in the forefront of a more futuristic time period shooter. Halo: Combat Evolved was the first game released under the title of Halo in November of 2001. With over 5 million copies sold worldwide by 2005 the game brought a new light to futuristic FPS games and inspired many games to come in the following years. Gamers everywhere will continue to keep a close eye on the FPS gaming genre, as the years go by. Who knows what this multi-billion dollar industry has planned for us in the future?

Consider also discussing Planetside 2.  In the realm of FPS games.. only talking about console games is a bit narrow..  Planetside 2 should even things out and be broad enough in scope to pass on the focus scale, but narrow enough to be reasonable for an article on this topic.

I will work on it once I get home from school, thanks for the insite though. I didn't think about that. Adding a PC game should diversify it well :)

There are a few sentences that don't flow correctly. Since I think I'm just annoying people with my post I will talk anyway:

First Paragraph, Second Sentence:

A FPS game could be described as a combat oriented game in which the avatar ,you control, has a weapon of some sorts that it uses to kill enemies or opponents.

First Paragraph, Last two Sentences:

The FPS genre can be traced back to 1973, but most gamers associate the year 1992 as the birth of the FPS genre with the release of Wolfenstein 3D. Wolfenstein 3D is known as the first real FPS game; released in 1992, the year before Doom.

Second Paragraph, Second and Third Sentence:

Some examples of are objectives within a game that can could include disarming a bomb, eliminating a certain amount of enemies, or destroying the headquarters of your enemy. (This could be: your enemy's headquarters)

In the FPS genre, you may find that most modern games include some form of multiplayer. (Comma After 'genre')

Third Paragraph, Second Sentence:

Halo is a multi-billion dollar game series originally produced created by Bungie. and now with the release of Halo: 4 it is managed by 343 Industries The newest installment of the game​, Halo 4, was produced by 343 Industries after gaining the rights from Bungie last year.

Also, you might want to use "Quotation Marks" or Italic game titles the first time they're used. This show's that it is  an official title and the game was not made by you.

Again... this is my opinion and I'm just stating what I think should be fix.

Awards

For the record, Sith...

First Paragraph, Second Sentence:

A FPS game could be described as a combat oriented game in which the avatar ,you control, has a weapon of some sorts that it uses to kill enemies or opponents.

Is wrong.

It is correctly "An FPS game" because when reading that you say each letter individually.  The letter F sounds like "eff", and thus, you would use "an" before it.  As is the case for all words starting with vowels (and some words starting with 'H', like Honor.)

Also, the commas are not needed there.  A comma denotes a stop in the sentence, to take a breath, or otherwise say something as an aside. In that sentence "to take a breath" is an aside, and can be removed entirely, and with minimal changes to the rest, and it would still sound fine. Yes, you could remove "you control" entirely and still have it sound fine, but I would have to ask you, "What avatar?  What does it do?" Noting that you control the avatar better explains what the topic and genre is about.

In regards to:

First Paragraph, Last two Sentences:

The FPS genre can be traced back to 1973, but most gamers associate the year 1992 as the birth of the FPS genre with the release of Wolfenstein 3D. Wolfenstein 3D is known as the first real FPS game; released in 1992, the year before Doom.

Here, I believe the wording of it is just a matter of sentence style, and though a little awkward, it is fine as it was.  That said, making the change makes it sound far better, and I was going to leave it alone.

Also, here:

Second Paragraph, Second and Third Sentence:

Some examples of are objectives within a game that can could include disarming a bomb, eliminating a certain amount of enemies, or destroying the headquarters of your enemy. (This could be: your enemy's headquarters)

Going to have to say no to this as well. Saying "the headquarters of your enemy" is the same as "your enemy's headquarters".  It makes no difference, and there is no confusion in what is said vs what is meant.  The other parts you mentioned before are also wrong.

As for:

Third Paragraph, Second Sentence:

Halo is a multi-billion dollar game series originally produced created by Bungie. and now with the release of Halo: 4 it is managed by 343 Industries The newest installment of the game​, Halo 4, was produced by 343 Industries after gaining the rights from Bungie last year.

I honestly don't really have an issue with that.  In regards to names..  Italicising names is the appropriate way to display them.  I was waiting for the article to be fully finished content wise before getting into that.

FPS Game History

FPS is an acronym that stands for First Person Shooter. An FPS game could be described as a combat oriented game in which the avatar you control has a weapon of some sorts that it uses to kill enemies or opponents. The game is always played in first person perspective. Although some games such as Fallout: 3 or Fallout: New Vegas can use either first or third person perspectives, games such as these are not true first person shooters and have a different sub-genre assigned to them. The FPS genre can be traced back to 1973, but most gamers associate 1992 as the birth of the FPS genre. Wolfenstein 3D is known as the first real FPS game; released in 1992, the year before Doom.

First person shooters focus on action game play. Some examples of objectives within a game could include disarming a bomb, eliminating a certain amount of enemies, or destroying the headquarters of your enemy. In the FPS genre you may find that most modern games include some form of multiplayer. These games primarily focus on their multiplayer mode instead of their single player mode. A good example of this would be Call of Duty Black Ops 2. Black Ops 2 includes a single player campaign, a multiplayer section, as well as a section called Zombies. The majority of players entertain themselves with the multiplayer or Zombies sections. Most gamers play on the more multiplayer oriented sections because they like to connect with fellow gamers, compete in a competitive environment, or simply enjoy the game. FPS games have always been popular and each year are increasingly popular. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is an example of a well-received FPS game; in 2012 it made a gross of 500,000,000 US dollars in the first 24 hours of its release. 

Another great example of a modern FPS game series would be Halo. Halo is a multi-billion dollar game series originally produced by Bungie and now with the release of Halo: 4 it is managed by 343 Industries. With Call of Duty on the Cutting-Edge for more realistic shooter games Halo is likewise in the forefront of a more futuristic time period shooter. Halo: Combat Evolved was the first game released under the title of Halo in November of 2001. With over 5 million copies sold worldwide by 2005 the game brought a new light to futuristic FPS games and inspired many games to come in the following years. 

The final game I will write about is a PC MMOFPS by the name of PlanetSide 2. PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 PlanetSide, Planetside 2 was released in November of 2012. This free to play second installment from Sony Entertainment was met with large success by pulling in people with interests with FPS games, MMO games, and PC gamers in general. PlanetSide 2 is a real pleaser to people who enjoy fast paced action and large scale battles. PlanetSide 2 includes a feature that allows over 2,000 players to face off per continent. Gamers everywhere will continue to keep a close eye on the FPS gaming genre, as the years go by. Who knows what this multi-billion dollar industry has planned for us in the future?

Overall looks much better.  An option, if you want, is to italicise names.  Some want to do it, others don't.  I don't require it (anymore), and so, at your option, it wouldn't be out of place to italicise the names.

That aside, this article has my approval to continue on in the  posting process..