KSI Havoc 7

DISCUSSION OF THE MONTH: Recruiting

8 posts in this topic

DISCUSSION OF THE MONTH:

Recruiting

Every month Performance Operations would like to hear from members of the community, as well as leaders, about their opinions surrounding a certain aspect of KSI. The hope is that we can have some meaningful discussions as well as some enlightenment, and possibly some reflections on how we operate as a community. As always Code of Conduct applies, be respectful of the opinions of others, and be open to new ways of thinking. We all come from different backgrounds in life as well as have developed different levels of experience within KSI. Some of us have been here for years, others only weeks, but all voices are valid. This topic will remain open for 1 months’ time before it is closed and a new discussion is started, however these topics will not be archived, but instead used as a reference point in the future.

This month we will be discussing one of the cornerstones of KSI; Recruiting. Some of us love it, some of us hate it, while others may remain indifferent, and every point in-between. Some common questions that come up are why do we recruit? Why do leaders push recruiting? Why do some of us dislike recruiting? Why are some individuals great at recruiting while others are not? Are there different methods of recruiting that are more effective than others?

So we would like to hear about where you stand. What is your opinion? Your experience? You may answer this topic anyway you like, however I do request that everyone please include your current rank, and amount of time in KSI, to be used a reference point!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gamertag:
Time in KSI:
Opinion:

Awards

Gamertag: KSI Skarzx 77
Time in KSI: 16 months in KSI . (Recruited on 4/3/17)
Opinion: Recruiting is the foundation of any community, simply because you cannot have a community without an influx of new members consistently. KSI ranks revolve around the ability to grow as a squad and as a division and that starts with recruiting. It's my belief that any good leader pushes growth because it shows progression and allows the members who have been here a chance to continue meeting new people each and every day. You cannot have a divisional 7 staff, directors , senior directors, departments , etc without people who will utilize the time and effort these leaders put in.

Xbox in our scenario , comes out with new games each month that entice players from all over the world to play in and while they may of never heard of KSI prior, through recruiting we open their world up to all the great things that KSI represents. It is my belief that no one can be "bad" at recruiting, rather like anything else they refuse to put the proper amount of time and effort into it or they dislike the aforementioned time and effort required and thus dislike recruiting.

What can separate good recruiters and bad recruiters can be a number of factors ranging from game types , down to being able to be innovative in your sales pitch. Sometimes games can die out pretty quickly which can diminish your recruiting efforts or you lack the enthusiasm to sell the community to a person who maybe is on the fence about joining. Trial and Error can fix any issues you may have as a recruiter and that experience can be taken and given to others as you become a mentor. 

As for methods , depending on the game you can utilize recruiting lobbies, LFG post , as well as various different types of game nights and tournaments. My personal preference is Recruiting lobbies, you fill the team up with 1-2 members of your squad/division and fill the remaining 1 or 2 spots with random members and show them how great and fun KSI is. 

Awards

Gamertag: KSI GreendayFox
Time in KSI: Was in KSI from July 24th 2013 - September 2015 and rejoined in February 2018
Opinion: When I first joined into KSI it was back when my squad was Call of Duty Black Ops 2 on the Xbox 360 and I feel like the system of recruiting back then was a lot easier than it is now. We had the mass messaging option to do but now its replaced with group messages and I know myself and a lot of people find that annoying or getting constant notifications of "So and so posted a Looking For Group on Call of Duty" I finally found how to turn off these notifications but the fact of the matter is either we message one person at a time from our recent players list or we do a lfg post on a game and yes that is a better option but our posts get lost in a pile of other people posting just wanting to play a game not go get recruited. Another thing is its hard to get people in from certain games just because the quality of people is low and the patience to sit and look or wait for the right people could get to someone and make them not want to recruit at all. Myself I found myself wanting people to just get involved more in the community activities more than going out and recruiting because I feel like meeting the people im around now is more important than the ones I don't know and might not even play with but this is something i know i need to work on but it wouldn't just be me with this problem and something else is morale of the people who should be recruiting if the morale is low then we aren't going to get recruits telling the officer staff they are always doing the wrong thing doesn't help and could just lead to rebellious attitudes and if they hear about say TSB or XDG stuff we now have to worry about people getting easily influenced about what community is right but i know not everything can be fixed but this is just stuff i have noticed being in and out of KSI.

Awards

Gamertag: Hello Im Gandhi
Time in KSI: 10 years

Opinion:  Recruiting for me was always a love/hate relationship. When I first joined back in April of 2008, it was the bread and butter of KSI. Our free time was spent recruiting, recruiting, and recruiting some more. That's why you hear of a time when KSI had 20,000+ members. Now realistically, most of those members were fluff. At the time we had quotas to meet, usually set by division leaders. For my divisions I asked for 10 members added to each squad each week. We looked for growth of about 50 members a week. Unlike the current KSI, we did a really bad job at ensuring those members stayed in the community. We didn't have much member outreach, so our retention sucked. At that point in time it's fair to say that your promotions were directly tied to the amount of people you could recruit. I distinctly remember joining Xiled Kings on a division transfer when I was told by the director that I would be given my own squad and made general, but I only had a week to get it up to 50 members or I would have to find a new home. As you can imagine, the people I recruited weren't very quality.

When I rejoined last summer, the paradigm had completely shifted. The focus was still partly on numbers, but it was also on quality recruits and member retention. While the community wasn't growing nearly as much as it used to, and the overall number in KSI had shrunk, it struck me as a much more sustainable practice. People don't want to join a community where all they are asked to do is recruit. They want to join somewhere they are going to be respected, and somewhere they are going to get to play games and meet other like minded people. It's now my opinion that the focus should entirely be on adding people to this community who want to be here, and that the overall member count doesn't matter one little bit. You could have 10,000 unhappy members that don't mean anything. You could have 500 happy and active members that make this the best community in the world.

I don't have the answer, but I think the way we recruit needs an update. Skarz presented some awesome ideas. It shouldn't be another thing we have to do. It should be a byproduct of the things we are already doing, such as playing games. I think we are moving in the right direction, but ultimately still adapting to a new online gaming world.

Awards

On 8/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, Hello Im Gandhi said:

It's now my opinion that the focus should entirely be on adding people to this community who want to be here, and that the overall member count doesn't matter one little bit. You could have 10,000 unhappy members that don't mean anything. You could have 500 happy and active members that make this the best community in the world.

GT:  KSI AWOL

Time in KSI:  Recruited on February 12, 2017 (one year and six months; last four months serving as an officer)

@Hello Im Gandhi 

Well-stated.  I couldn't possibly have phrased this better myself.  

My experience:  I couldn't have asked for a better experience from when I was recruited into KSI from Destiny 1.  My recruiter spent nearly a week gaming with me before he asked me if I'd like to join KSI, and I gladly accepted.  He took the time to get to know me, the games I played, and all the while he explained to me what KSI was all about.  To this day he reaches across from his division to mine and keeps in touch.  This man is nearly twenty years my junior, and to this day, I sincerely appreciate the time and effort he put forth to recruit me.  Thanks, @September

My opinion:  Gandhi hit the nail on the head with his comments above.  Is the way I was recruited an anomaly?  I'd like to think it isn't, but unfortunately where there are quotas in place one may feel unnecessary pressure to meet the quota without undertaking the actual time to find potential members who truly understand what it means to be a part of a large gaming community.  From my limited experience with recruiting, I try my best to follow the example set by my recruiter.

Awards

GT: KSI SUP3R

Time in KSI: 2 months

Opinion: Recruiting is what makes KSI what it is now and that is a family. It's what makes officers have the need to make an LFG and see what's in store for future KSI officers. It's really what makes officers love doing what they do now

Awards

Gamertag:KSI FadeZ 7
Time in KSI: originally recruited 10/26/12 and have been around either as a member or friend of the community since. 
Opinion: well i used to love recruiting back in the day. Not to say I dislike it now but back then when I was a young teenager and joined this community it honestly changed my life. All I wanted to do was bring people in to our safe haven and help them anyway I could. My personal recruiting experience was actually a bit odd. I was referred by a KSI LOONEY 192 who was a personal childhood friend of mine and was recruited by a person I knew from a previous community. I came into a squad and div going through a tough time from a BL community hitting them yet everyone was so friendly and happy and didn't let it get to them. So I ended up trying to use that positivity and try to approach recruiting with that same style. Member retention and recruiting was honestly really solid in that div then. So I always tried to be that way about it. I feel recruiting should always be quality over quantity and personally I feel like some leaders still try to push more of a quantity which understandably we want to grow but it is always different because as leaders we all have our own style and views which play into the recruiting of those around us. I think now that we definitely focus more on member retention and quality which is great. In my opinion I think recruiting could be streamlined a little but honestly I'm not sure how we would go about that and realistically it's not really needed but improving is always a good thing. I don't enjoy recruiting nowhere near as much as I did but I believe at least from my Pov the gaming scene as a whole has grown alot more toxic and chatoic however because of that I think it's that much more important to build a safe haven for people trying to escape that and enjoy this hobby we all love without that negativity

Awards

Gamertag: KSI Cherry 7

Time in KSI: 3 years 

Opinion: Recruiting has always been a hot button topic. I definitely side with @Scarface 77 on a lot of his input. Considering that we are an invite only community, Recruiting is necessary in order to introduce new gamers into the fold of things. Recruiting happens in a multitude of ways but I have found that the way that works best for me is by creating LFGs on the games that I need or want to play with other people. After gaming with them for x amount of time (time is different based on how well you mesh with them), asking them to join KSI seems like a no brainer. After gaming with them, they have met other KSI members through you that share similar interests.

I was recruited into KSI back in the Advanced Warfare days on 360. My recruiter was not ideal. I gamed with him in one lobby then he sent out a mass message to those in the lobby. I reached out to him asking what he was talking about and got no response. So I dropped it. A week or so later, another message from someone else. At this point, I ignored the message. The person who sent out the message joined our xbox 360 party to queue up for the next game. We got talking for a while and he enticed us with the red clan tag on AW for clan wars. I will say that my recruiter dropped me like a bag bricks after her recruited me though. If it wasn't for KSI Linkedsiren, I wouldn't still be in KSI. He was the one to reach out to me and introduce me to all of the things that KSI had to offer. 

Im not gonna lie and say that I was the best recruiter at first. Im pretty confident that I got people to join based on the soul fact that I was a girl gamer but there have been many more after that. Its basic communication skills. Treat people like people which means game with them, talk about life, give advice, laugh at dumb jokes, and get competitive over silly things. Not everyone is gonna like everyone but there is a group of people for everyone in this community. I joined a gaming community to hang out with people and game. I gained a lot more. Friends that I have known for years and interpersonal skills that transcend to other realms of my life, though my gaming skill still needs some improvement. I don't stay in KSI for gaming at this point. I stay because I love these nerds <3 This is the vibe that I give out when I recruit, because creating a family atmosphere is a win-win for KSI's member retention and the members that join in. 

Awards

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead