KSI Siggy

Life without the military?

8 posts in this topic

As of a couple days ago, I am less than 180 days from trying to do decide if I'm going to separate from the USAF. I know this is a decision I will have to make on my own,and everyone's situation is different.

For my prior military folks,how has civilian life been treating you? Do you regret your decision or has it been a blessing for you?

For the people who never joined the military in the first place,how do you like your job? If you're going to school,are you enjoying college or your vocational school?

I am nervous about the future,and any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Siggy

Awards

Dude it is hard being a civilian after being in. 

I was in the army for almost four years as Infantry. I go to a community college. For the most part as long as you plan your Poop out accordingly, life can be pretty chill. All I do is go to school, and manage my squads. I get paid 1300 a month, for rent, some bills, and food. I really cant complain. 

I miss the Army sometimes. But my unit was the biggest joke of the army, complete with every form of toxic leadership. So for the most part, I am pretty comfortable not being in anymore. But you will gain some weight. I promise you that. That part sucks.

Awards

Bud ill be the first to admit I miss the military life and structure. 10 years of service feels like a life time. And it was all i have known for so long. I been out since 2012 and im still having trouble adapting to civilian life and the way it works. I jumped to correctional officer because it still has some what of a structure to follow. 

But i look also my family needs me as well and i survived that my tours over seas. God must have something in-store for me . Not a day goes by i don't think What If I stayed in . i would be 3yrs from retiring now.  But there is always a plan keep striving for the best you can be. And keep a positive attitude. and take one day at a time .  

Awards

On 3/30/2019 at 7:45 AM, KSI Siggy said:

As of a couple days ago, I am less than 180 days from trying to do decide if I'm going to separate from the USAF. I know this is a decision I will have to make on my own,and everyone's situation is different.

For my prior military folks,how has civilian life been treating you? Do you regret your decision or has it been a blessing for you?

For the people who never joined the military in the first place,how do you like your job? If you're going to school,are you enjoying college or your vocational school?

I am nervous about the future,and any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Siggy

Honestly, there are times I miss certain aspects of the Army, but the good was far outweighed by the negative. They can do a lot for you, and it is a great thing for someone to help get their life together if needed.

Since I have been out though, I honestly enjoy life a lot more, and although some civilian jobs will require some of your time even when you aren't "working", it is still nowhere near as much of a time suck as the military was. I don't know how much of a family you have , or plan to have, but getting married in 2017 and getting ready for my baby girl being born this year were big factors on not re-enlisting. I didn't want to be an absentee in my family's life.

Awards

Airborne I didnt even know you were out. I always thought you were like a Staff Sergeant still in.

Awards

On 4/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, KSI Grifful 7 said:

Airborne I didnt even know you were out. I always thought you were like a Staff Sergeant still in.

Noooooooo thanks. Dont wish that on me 

Awards

Man, I miss it. Like bad. But if I hadn't gotten out when I did, I wouldn't be married to my love or have my children. Now, my husband is retired as of 2012 (20 yrs in the Navy). Civie life is still hard on him. If he could have stayed in longer he would have. It's just a matter of opinion at the end of the day. Do you stay in and make it a career? Or do you get out and start making a life in the civie world?

Awards

This would be a really tough one for me man. I planned on being a lifer when I joined the Marines just simply because I felt I really didn't fit in the civilian world.  Due to circumstances I am now a 100 % permanently disabled vet and back in the civilian world.  

Just because I planned to be a lifer doesn't mean I wouldn't have changed my mind as time went by. I value everything the military taught me and yes, even the Poop I went through because it made me a lot less of a me person and now I concentrate on those around me.

I guess it all comes down to have you learned all the lessons that the military gives you the opportunity to learn. Take advantage of everything you can and if you have then it's time to move on even if it means change. Change can be scary but it can also mean growth.  And what good is living if we aren't growing? I'm just a nobody but that would be my opinion. 

Awards